inside banner 1
inside banner 3
inside banner 3

Pet Poison Symptoms: 5 Signs to Look For

There are numerous plants, chemicals, and foods that can be poisonous to pets. Common causes of poisoning can be present in the home. Many toxins reside in your kitchen, yard, garage, and medicine cabinet. 

Most pet owners know all about human food disappearing from the kitchen counter as soon as they turn their back. Unfortunately, most human food can be toxic to canines. Learning about the pet poison signs and symptoms to look for is vital. 

·      Gastrointestinal Signs 

Several visible symptoms can indicate poisoning in a pet. The most common signs of poisoning are gastrointestinal. They include diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, loss of appetite, salivation, and dry heaving. If your pet exhibits any symptoms, it could be a sign of poisoning that requires immediate care. 

  • Internal Bleeding 

It may not be visible, but ingestion of toxins can cause internal bleeding. Signs that your pet may have internal bleeding include pale gums, vomiting, or coughing blood. Lethargy or weakness and a racing heart can also be due to internal bleeding. A dog collapsing or falling over can indicate internal bleeding that requires emergency care. 

  • Liver Failure 

Consuming toxic substances can cause severe issues such as liver failure. Unfortunately, most of the signs manifest after some time. Signs of a failing liver include yellow gums, vomiting, diarrhea, melena (tarry stool), and collapsing from low blood sugar. 

  • Kidney Failure 

In severe cases, pet poisoning can lead to kidney failure. Signs that indicate that your pet may have kidney failure include increased water intake and reduced or increased urination. Others include lack of appetite, diarrhea, or vomiting. 

  • Hyperactivity 

Your pet’s behavior can indicate that he may have ingested a toxic substance. If your usually calm dog suddenly becomes hyperactive, it can be a sign of poisoning. The animal can become restless as it experiences discomfort. 

Protecting Your Pet 

To protect your pet, you can take some measures. Avoid feeding them human food, and ensure you tightly cover waste baskets and trash cans. It will keep your pet from scavenging for scraps and leftovers. Avoid leaving your pet unsupervised for too long as they are bound to become adventurous. 

Check ingredient lists to find out if they contain dangerous foods. Remember to wash your hands after touching eggs, raw meat, and other substances that can be unsafe for your pet. During your walks, train your pet not to eat things they find outside your home.  

In most cases, it takes a short period between when a dog consumes a poisonous substance and when they manifest physical symptoms. The severity and symptoms will depend on the poison ingested. If you suspect your pet may have been poisoned, take them to the vet immediately. A complete physical exam or proper testing can help determine the dog’s condition. 

Avoid using antidotes or home remedies without consulting your vet. Do not induce vomiting without knowing what your pet has ingested.

For more on pet poison symptoms or signs to look for, visit R Veterinary Group at our Linn Creek, Columbia, or Waynesville, Missouri offices. Call (573) 245-1027, (573) 346-5733, (573) 443-7274, (573) 774-3337, or (573) 875-7825 to schedule an appointment today.

none 8:00am - 5:00pm 8:00am - 5:00pm 8:00am - 5:00pm 8:00am - 5:00pm 8:00am - 5:00pm Closed Closed