Pets are naturally curious. That’s why they sometimes get into things they shouldn’t. This behavior can be hazardous if they ingest something toxic. Several poisonous substances in and around your home can endanger your active, inquisitive animal companion. So, keep your eyes open for these harmful items and the signs and symptoms of poisoning.
There are a lot of foods that can poison your pet. These include chocolate, xylitol, grapes, raisins, onions, garlic, alcohol, and caffeinated drinks. Some types of poisoning from food run their course and eventually improve on their own. But others can be more severe, or worse, deadly. Whether you actually saw your beloved pet eat something suspicious or not, you have to call your veterinarian immediately if you notice symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting, and blood in the stool. Other signs include weakness, excessive drooling, difficulty breathing, lack of appetite, tremors, and seizures.
Sadly, nearly 50 percent of all calls that the Pet Poison Helpline receive involve prescription and over-the-counter medicines intended for humans. Poisoning in pets due to medications is common and can be life-threatening. Ensure that you keep drugs like non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, pain relievers, beta-blockers, and birth control pills away. Like any toxic substance, symptoms can vary, depending on the type of medication that was ingested. Sometimes, your pet may only deal with minor symptoms, such as an upset tummy. But others may result in seizures, coma, or worse, death.
As you know, many household items contain chemicals that may be poisonous to pets. These cleaning products have potent formulations to get rid of dirt and bacteria. They are generally too strong for your pet to smell or ingest. These known toxins include bleach, ammonia, formaldehyde, and glycol ethers. Every cleaning solution contains different poisonous ingredients. This means that your pet may suffer from various indications too. These include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, increased heart rate, and rapid breathing, among others.
Pesticides have saturated our planet — they’re in our water, backyards, foods, and even inside your body. Constant exposure to these toxic chemicals puts your pet at risk of pesticide poisoning. They’re basic irritants to animals and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, and drooling. In rare cases, some pets may not even manifest any specific symptoms, only general weakness or lack of energy.
There’s a long list of plants deemed toxic to dogs and cats. But the most common ones that are easily found around homes are lilies, ivy, sago palms, aloe vera, asparagus fern, and cannabis. Symptoms vary depending on the plant that your pet ingested. But some of the common signs of plant poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, oral irritation, and excessive drooling, to name a few. Besides pesticides and herbicides, other garden products that can also harm your pet are slug and snail baits, cocoa mulch, compost, and meal-based fertilizers.
Do you suspect that your fur baby may have been poisoned? Don’t try to treat this alarming condition yourself. Contact your vet as soon as possible and be ready to provide all the necessary information. This way, they can take the best course of action to reverse the damage.
Learn more about signs & symptoms of poisoning in pets, contact R Veterinary Group in Linn Creek, MO at (573) 346-5733 for more information.